India produces 500 crore kg. (3 crores bales) of lint cotton annually. Just by spinning this cotton in every home and weaving the yarn in every village, poverty and unemployment can be removed immediately. This can be practically done by using modern scientific machinery and by competing to present centralized textile industry. I will explain how. MODERN HOME SPINNING UNIT will consist of Amber Charkha 10 spindle cost Rs 11000/Energy unit of 12V, 100W PV panel, Battery 12V x 40Ah capacity, 12V, 50W DC motor ( suitable wiper motor of car or truck) and digital display of battery charging level duly converted in to hours and minutes woman can spin on it without discharging battery less than 50%. Cost Rs 14000/Total cost Rs 25000/-. Woman will spin the cotton by hand on this Amber Charkha for 3 hours from 7am to 10am and one more hour in the evening. She will switch over to automatic spinning for 8 hours from 10am to 6pm. in 12 hours of spinning, she will produce 60 hanks of yarn of 40 count. 40 hanks of 40 count will weigh one kg. So 60 hanks = 1.5 kg cotton yarn. As per the present KVIC rates, she will earn Rs 60 hanks x Rs 3 per hank = Rs 180. So monthly income may be Rs 180 x 25 days = Rs 4500/-. Annual income will be for 10 months = Rs 45000/-. So her family will sustain. Annual income of Rs 45000/- is against investment of Rs 25000/-. So return on investment is 180% annually. So highly viable as per present norms of economics. Total annual production of yarn per home will be 300 days x 1.5 kg per day = 450kg.
PILOT PROJECT To prove this, pilot project of 100 home spinning units should be established. Duly trained women should be given Amber Chakhas at their home and daily and monthly yarn production should be recorded for all 100 homes. Once we realize that annual production goes up to 450kg of yarn, we can conclude that this is really practical solution of poverty and unemployment of our country. Pilot project will cost Rs 25 lakhs in machinery only. Some Khadi institutes and NGOs can run such several pilot projects in different parts of India.
MY SCHEME TO RESHAPE TEXTILE INDUSTRY
- Present textile industry can continue as it is.
- There are about 2000 small spinning mills from 3000 to 8000 spindles in coimbatore and tamilnadu and 400 such mills in Ahmedabad. Many of them have spare capacity up to roving stage. So continuing their spinning mill, they can produce and sell roving for Amber Charkhas. Their income will increase by producing extra roving for Amber Chakhas.
- Lakhs of Amber Charkhas can work on rovings brought from small spinning mills. Many owners of such small spinning mills are humanitarian and may sell their rovings at favourable rates for poor women.
- When lakhs of such Amber Charkhas will be working, many intelligent women will think and manage to put 2 or more Amber Charkhas in their homes to get more income.
- Power consumption per kg yarn in Amber Charkha is quite less than in centralized ring frames of 500 to 1000 spindles. So it will happen that yarn spun on Amber Charkhas working on sun energy will become competitive to the yarn spun in spinning mills.
- Quality of yarn spun on Amber Charkhas is completely equal to spinning mill yarn.
- So demand of solar powered Amber Charkhas will increase to more than one crore units.
- To supply rovings to Amber Charkhas, new roving mills will come in to existence. Second hand modern roving mill machinery still usable to next 40 years costs only 25 lakhs which can provide rovings to 25000 Amber Charkhas of 10 spindle. Such rovings mills will be established in villages with cotton ginning facility so that they will use loose cotton directly from gin. So no bale binding, no transport, rovings will be available in villages.
- Roving mills will require 30% capital, only 20% construction space, only 30% power connection and hence will easily compete to spinning mills. Ultimate result will be either to close down spinning mills or to use the mill up to roving stage only. So all spinning mills will be converted to rovings mills.
- So entire spinning activity will be decentralized in to solar powered Amber Charkhas and centralized roving mills. (11) At present about 10 million cotton bales are exported. This export will be stopped automatically due to production of rovings and yarn in villages. Entire production of 500 crores kg of lint cotton will be spun in to yarn and entire value addition benefit will go to poor rural women.
- Manufacturing units for Amber Charkhas should be encouraged in private small scale sector at Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Coimbatore, Ludhiana, Delhi and elsewhere so that Amber Chakhas are available at reasonable cost to poor people everywhere.
- Hand looms should be converted to Hand Cum Solar Looms. 200W DC motor will drive hand loom very easily. Present Udyog Bharti peddle loom gives 16 mt cloth in 8 hours. Hand loom worker gets Rs 10 per mt cloth. About 300W solar panel will drive hand loom. Man can work 4 hours with human power and 8 hours on solar power. So he will earn Rs 240 for 24 mt cloth in 12 hours. Monthly income will be Rs 240 x 25 days = Rs 6000 and annual income will be Rs 60000/-.Peddle loom costs Rs 32000/-. Peddle cum solar powered loom may cost Rs 35000/-. Solar Energy unit may cost Rs 25000/-. So total investment will be Rs 60000/-. So investment is earned back in one year. So this is viable scheme.
SELF EMPLOYMENT & RURAL PROSPERITY
- Spinning activity through Amber charkhas will provide direct employment to one crore women in their homes. This is direct additional employment. Present textile spinning mills will continue to work as roving mills and their employment will continue. Weaving by solar looms will provide self employment to 50 lakh workers in their homes. This will affect present power loom industry. But mostly all power loom workers will prefer to go to their native place and run solar loom in their homes and live peaceful village life. So it will be desirable change. Indirect employment in manufacturing equipments, trading of yarns and cloths, providing facility and goods to spinners and weavers families will be about one crore who will handle the turnover of Rs 75000/- which will be spent on goods and services required by spinners and weavers families.
- One crore women will get Rs 45000 crores as their income and 50 lakhs hand loom workers will get Rs 30000 crores as their income. So rural prosperity will increase up to Rs 75000 crores. This will be huge amount and huge change in their condition compared to starving position at present. If this much is done, Gandhiji, s ATMA will rejoice. (16) When India produces 4000 crore mt cloth from 500 crore kg of lint cotton by using solar energy in spinning and weaving and giving self employment to 2.5 crores of people in their homes, it will be glaring and guiding example to entire world how to be happy with modern science. then there will be no scope for exploitation, war, big companies, terrorism etc. India will show the way to peace and happiness on the entire planet.