JAGGERY PLANT RUN BY INDEPENDENT STEAM POWER
It is very simple to manufacture jaggery. ( other names Gur, Panela, First the sugarcane is crushed into sugarcane crusher to get sugarcane juice. Then sugarcane juice is boiled in a boiling pan by firing bagasse under the boiling pan. Single boiling pan is more economical than set of 4 boiling pans in line and flue gases pass under all the four boiling pans one after another and then escape through chimney. So I suggest single boiling pan system.
During the boiling, all impurities come on the surface which are removed by scumming. While boiling, up to 118 degree C, the sugarcane juice gets concentrated and after evaporating almost all the water, pasty crystalline yellow substance is left in the boiling pan which becomes solid after cooling. This is jaggery. If you do not use any chemical in boiling the jaggery and boil it up to 125 degree C and then cool it fast by industrial fans, you can get granulated jaggery which you can pass through sieves of 2mm for uniformity and pack in bags and sell at very high price because it become organic substitute of sugar.
In Jaggery making plants, sugarcane crusher is driven by electric motor or diesel engine. To get electric connection in farms is very difficult, expensive and time taking and then also electric power is not supplied round the clock. So electric connection is not enough. Where sugarcane crusher is driven by diesel engine, it becomes too costly as diesel has become expensive.
I can suggest very simple innovative solution to run entire jaggery plant with free of cost energy. Lot of heat is wasted in a flue gases going to chimney in a juice boiling furnace run by bagasse. This heat going to waste can be utilized to produce steam by putting waste heat boiler in underground trench of flue gas path from furnace to chimney. So you will get enough steam free of cost to run steam engine to drive sugarcane crusher. Thus you will not require electricity or diesel. This is the simplest and the cheapest solution to run jaggery plant with steam power. Water tube boiler, specially designed for waste heat will produce steam without any extra effort and sugarcane crusher will be driven by steam engine consuming the steam produced in the boiler. The typical size of the boiler will be 24" x 30" x 66" to 86" which will remain in the trench between furnace and chimney. Photo of such furnace boiler is given below. Steam drum is not shown. It is 14" dia x 5ft to 6 ft long and remains horizontal parellel to ground about one ft above the ground. Water and steam connections from the boiler to steam drum will be connected from underground boiler to upper ground steam drum. Water level gauge set, safety valve, pressure gauge etc will be mounted on steam drum. Boiler water feed pump will be connected to steam drum bottom. Steam pipe will be taken out from the top of the steam drum.
This waste heat boiler is so much simple that any village level skilled welder can fabricate in 2 days. Of course it must be tested on hydraulic testing machine up to 600 psi pressure for perfect safety. but investment in boiler will be the lowest and steam is obtained free of cost from the waste heat of the juice boiling furnace. There is no doubt that this becomes successful. This scheme will bring revolution in the entire world because it will save 35 to 40 liter diesel everyday and hence jaggery plant will become highly viable and big sugar factories cannot compete to it.
One engineer has made experiment of installing 10 mt (32.6 ft) chimney of 600mm dia and he found very encouraging result that juice boiling becomes double faster so that double quantity of jaggery is produced from the same furnace and still going huge quantity of heat into the flue gases. He did not install any boiler. He found that flue gas temperature was 380 degree Celsius and flow rate was 40 cubic meter per hour at the speed of 4.7 meter per second. One highly experienced thermal engineer of South India confirmed that about 20 KW power can be generated from the waste heat of the chimney by installing boiler in the underground trench or in the chimney. So there is huge scope of utilizing the waste heat and to generate steam free of cost.
So if you are interested in energy independent jaggery plant, you should act as per the above descriptions. Any experiment is going to get success. Please inform me what you do. If you face any difficulty then also please inform me. You can get full guidance to manufacture boiler also.
V K DESAI
LOVE GUR (JAGGERY) & HATE SUGAR
GUR (Jaggery, panela) is the natural mixture of sugar and molasses. If pure clarified sugarcane juice is boiled, what is left as sweet, delicious and nutritious solid is GUR which is called jaggery also. It is full of useful minerals and vitamins to human body.
Now everybody knows that sugar is harmful for health. Particularly it creates diabetes which is dangerous disease. Some scientists have found out 59 types of dangerous side effects of sugar and hence they described sugar as a white poison. So sugar is a evil. As against this, GUR is innocent and nutritious food and it contains many natural minerals. So this is natural substance. So GUR should be used in our food instead of sugar. GUR is blessing for human health. In India, GUR is used since centuries.
You should know that 1000 kg of sugarcane gives only 100kg of sugar, (dreadful poison for human body) because 40kg of molasses is thrown as non edible substance in case of sugar making. but same 1000kg of sugarcane can produce 140kg of Gur(jaggery) which is most nutritious and blessing substance for human body). So sugar manufacturer commits the offense against humanity, while Gur manufacturer serves humanity. So no any ethical person should think of making sugar only for sake of money.
Moreover sugar making process is very much complicated and very very costly. Producing of sugar is heavily centralized in a giant sugar plants with highly complicated and highly costly machinery running into millions of dollars. So naturally there is a huge exploitation of vested interests in sugar industry. As against this, GUR making process is very simple and very cheap. It can be done on the sugarcane farm itself at very small scale. No complicated machinery required. Any layman can master the art of GUR making process easily. Capital requirement in GUR making is only 2% of the capital requirement for sugar plant of the same capacity. So GUR making plant is extremely cheap.Moreover gur units provide 40 times more employment than sugar plant for same capacity.
LETTER TO SUGAR ENTHUSIASTIC
Dear sugar enthusiastic,
I received your email regarding your desire to invest for big sugar plant.
Since many years, I believe that our business earning should be moral. It should be beneficial to the society and to the humanity. Our business should not damage and exploit the humanity. It should not disturb the life of common people. It should enrich the life of common people.
It is now established fact that sugar is harmful to health. As wine and whisky are harmful to health and so we should not produce it, similarly we should not produce sugar. It is now accepted fact that it creates diabetes. So any person who has care for morality should not produce sugar. We should not present the excuse that there is a lot of demand for sugar and so we should produce it. Demand will be there in the society for many such evils. Demand is for cigarettes also. But any businessman who cares for morality and well being of society should not produce cigarettes. Any person who believes in vegetarianism should not produce machinery for slaughter house. This is my thinking. So I am against any sugar production.
If we have to produce sugar, one tonne of sugarcane gives 100 kg of sugar. But if we produce jaggery, one tonne of sugarcane gives 140 kg of jaggery. Directly 40% more production. Jaggery is nutritious, balanced food and highly beneficial for human body. It must be promoted. If there is no demand for jaggery, demand should be created. For many dangerous items and evil items, demands are created artificially even though it is detrimental to society simply for sake of money. Similarly demand for sugar has been created. Once we know that sugar is detrimental and jaggery is beneficial, then we should try our best to promote only jaggery.
Moreover, sugar production requires highly complicated machinery. Huge investment in machinery. This is simply done for profit motive to exploit the society to make money, no matter it harms the society. This is evil thinking. Any good businessman should refrain from such evil thinking. As against this, jaggery production requires very small investment and only simple machinery which can be installed in any small farm by farmer himself. So this technology of jaggery is blessing to the society. Every good businessman should try to promote it. I am sure that you can earn money from it, but with due efforts to convince the people that jaggery is good thing. Even if you earn less this way, it should be acceptable. We should not damage the society simply for selfish motive of earning money. By producing sugar, you surely damage the society. Certainly, sugar is not innocent product.
So I have stopped to take interest even in sugar cum jaggery plant and I advocate only jaggery plant. It is really beautiful. Please look at the beauty in simplicity. Investment in sugar plant is at least 100 times more than investment in jaggery plant compared on same production capacity. Employment in jaggery plant is at least 50 times more than employment in sugar plant compared on same production capacity. So sugar plant is highly capital intensive, giving very less employment and producing harmful product. As against this, you can see that how much beneficial is jaggery plant. A very little investment, providing a lot of employment, simple technology and giving highly nutritious product.So even after recognizing all these benefits of jaggery, how can we go for sugar plant? My morality forbids me to work for sugar production. I feel that we should discourage sugar consumption at every possible stage. I have vowed not to eat sugar since last 26 years. Still I enjoy many types of sweets prepared in jaggery instead of sugar. India is famous for many types of delicious and attractive sweets made from sugar. But I am sure that all these various sweet items can also be made equally delicious by using jaggery instead of sugar. As I have left sugar for ever, my wife has found out techniques to make various sweets from jaggery. I have found by my experience that some sweets are more delicious in jaggery than in sugar.
I hope I have clarified my stand properly. Now it is upto you to decide what to do. It is fascinating to produce sugar. I had a good attachment for it. I worked as a Managing Director of big sugar factory. But as I understood, I withdraw my mind from interesting technology of sugar making and also money making and I discarded everything from my mind. So we have to discard from our mind fascination of something which is not beneficial to the society.
SUGAR HAS 59 DANGEROUS SIDE EFFECTS
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar upsets the minerals in the body.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar produces a significant rise in triglycerides, a leading cause of heart disease.
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection.
6. Sugar can cause kidney damage.
7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
9. Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, intestines, prostate and rectum.
10. Sugar consumption is the top cause of type II diabetes, as it increases levels of glucose and insulin.
11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
13. Sugar raises the level of neurotransmitters called serotonin
14. Sugar weakens eyesight.
15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels).
16. Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
17. Sugar can raise adrenalin levels in children.
18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
19. Sugar consumption can cause aging.
20. Sugar consumption can lead to alcoholism.
21. Sugar consumption is the top cause of tooth decay.
22. Sugar use contributes to obesity.
23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's Disease, and ulcerative colitis.
24. Sugar can cause changes associated with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
25. Sugar can cause arthritis.
26. Sugar can cause asthma.
27. Sugar can cause candida albicans (yeast infections).
28. Sugar can cause gallstones to form.
29. Sugar can cause heart disease.
30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.
32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
39. Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.
42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
44. Sugar can cause migraine headaches.
45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
46. Sugar causes food allergies.
47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA.
52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.
53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
54. Sugar can cause cataracts.
55. Sugar can cause emphysema.
56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density proteins (LDL).
58. Sugar can increase free radicals in the blood stream.
59. Sugar can cause overeating.